On Sunday 8th December 1940 At 4.30 P.M An English Secondary School Was Established At Pannipitiya as a Branch Of Ananda College Colombo.
This New School Was Named Dharmapala Vidyalaya. On This Day Two Major Events Took Place,
- Opening Of Late Sri Devamitta Dharmapala Thero Memorial Building By W.A.De.Silva Hon. Minister Of Health.
- Ceremonial Opening Of Dharmapala Vidyalaya By Dr. Walter Wijeynaike, The General Manager Of Buddhist Schools.
Dharmapala Vidyalaya Was Managed By Buddhist Theosophical Society (B.T.S). Under The Direct Supervision Of The Principal Ananda College Colombo.It Was A School for both Boys and Girls and Supposed To Conduct Classes from Kindergarten to the Matriculation Form, In English Medium.
Dharmapala Vidyalaya Began its Work on 8th January 1941
Founder: Mr. P.De.S.Kularathne Principal: Dr. J.E.Jayasooriya -B.A.Hons (London)
- Mr. R.L.N.De.Zoysa -Intermediate In Arts
- B.A Mr. E.Flesinger – Trained TeacherMr. M.T. Peries – Trained Teacher
- Miss. Soma Wijesinghe – Trained Teacher
- Mr. D.D. Arangala – Intermediate In Arts
- Mr. H.D.D. Gunasekara – Bilingual Trained (Gampaha)
- Mr. D.A. Jayamanna – Certificated Sinhalese Teacher
- Admission To Dharmapala Vidyalaya
Admission Started From The Day School Was Ceremonially Opened. Many From, Pannipitiya, Homagama, And Padukka Areas Have Entered Dharmapala Vidyalaya. First Boy Student Registered Was Somabandu Vidyapathi.
The Office Was In A Small Building With Two Tables And Few Chairs. Classes Were Conducted In Cadjan Sheds.
During the World War II section from Ananda college along with the teachers shifted to Dharmapala Vidyalaya premises due to fear of war. to accommodate these students more cadjan sheds were built in the premises. Later six permanent classrooms were built for the primary section. Then principal of Ananda College, Mr. P.De.S Kularathna, led this project.
The Boarding House:
The Dharmapala orphanage found in the premises, a cadjan house was used as the boarding house initially. The Teachers Who Were In Residents Looked After the Boarders.
Donation of the Land:
The land owned by Anagarika Dharmapala was donated by Hewavitharana family to Mahabodhi society was allocated to Dharmapala Vidyalaya in 1940 Deed Number 4382 Plan Number 1566 Certified By N.S.J.Cooray Surveyed On 21st August 1934 An extent of 18 acres and 9 perches of land mass called Millagaha Kanatta, Ambagaha Watta and Moragahalanda alias Maragahalanda.